Waytypes of the stage
The cycle route hugs the Moselle River, alternating between east and west banks, mostly on tracks not open to cars. The way is signposted ‘Chemin de la Moselle’. To change bank, there are odd stretches on roads used by motorized traffic, between Sierck-les-Bains and Contz-les-Bains, as well as at Malling. Take care on these! At Kœnigsmacker, the cycle route leads you along the river’s east bank; follow the signposts indicating ‘Chemin de la Moselle Rive Droite’, enjoying greenways not open to cars.
An alternative stretch follows the Moselle’s west bank to Thionville.
SNCF (French national railways network)
TER line Thionville <> Apach only at weekends. No train during the week
- Schengen (Lux): Famous for its Schengen agreements,
- Perl: vineyard, Pays des trois Frontières.
- Apach: limestone lawns
- Sierck-les-Bains: castle of the 11th century, Manderen: castle of Malbrouck (5 km away),
- Montenach: nature reserve of the 7 hills and nature house.
- Contz-les-Bains: Stromberg hill and vineyard.
- Rodemack (7 km away): medieval city (most beautiful villages in France)
- Cattenom: nuclear power plant
- Lower Ham: marina
- Koenigsmacker: large lock, Canner valley