32,64 km cycling route from Port-sur-Saône to Ray-sur-Saône
Elevation of the stage
Waytypes of the stage
Surface of the stage
On this stage, the way alternates between greenways, towpaths and short stretches on county roads that aren’t especially busy. Be aware that there is a 300m portion along cobbles at the level of Rupt-sur-Saône. There are short slopes around the St-Albin Tunnel and at Ray-sur-Saône. This stage is enjoyable for families, excluding accessing Port-sur-Saône.
Warning: Crossing Scey-sur-Saône, there is a section that is not specially laid out for cyclists. Also note that even on the sections of the stage that are not open to motorized traffic, you may encounter local anglers’ cars and maintenance vehicles.
Link EuroVelo 6 to Vesoul
At the level of the confluence with the Durgeon at Chemilly, ‘La Trace du Courlis’ (‘The Curlew’s Way’) leads you to the town of Vesoul, then along Le Chemin Vert towards the EuroVelo 6 cycle route, allowing you to reach Roulans on the banks of the Doubs River. The greenway stops at the level of Loulans-Verchamp, so you then continue into the hills of the département (or French county) of Doubs on roads shared with motorized traffic. This entails 22km on small, quiet roads, but these are quite steep and require a high level of fitness.
SNCF (French national railways network)
TER line Paris-Vesoul-Belfort
- Chemilly: confluence of the Saône and Durgeon rivers
- Le Barnayout: A nice thirst-quenching and culinary stopover upstream from the Saint-Albin tunnel.
- Scey-sur-Saône river port and banks of the Saône - City of character Burgundy-Franche-Comté.
- Nearby, the forges of Baignes: you will relive the industry of the area (stoves, cauldrons, waffle makers).
- Ray-sur-Saône : also labelled Cité de Bourgogne-Franche-Comté and its castle, dominate the Saône valley. It is situated in the middle of a 6 ha English style park, a real green setting.
- Saint-Albin canal-tunnel: 681 m long and built under Napoleon III.
- Rupt-sur-Saône: castle with keep, manor house, orange grove, hunting lodge
- Traves: its pierced stones megalithic constructions
- Neuvelle-les-la-Charité: and its Belvaux Abbey, whose buildings are listed as Historic Monuments.
- Ray-sur-Saône: castle, city of character of Burgundy Franche-Comté